When most Marylanders think about the environment they envision tranquil panoramas of the Appalachian Mountains, the verdant woodlands of the Patapsco Valley, or the scenic tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Conversely, when people think of manufacturing they imagine negative scenes such as sprawling factories belching out noxious black clouds and spewing toxic waste into the local rivers. However, this unfavorable view of manufacturing isn’t inflexible. In fact, changing it can be very good for business – both for company image and the bottom line. At MD MEP we can help you to realize the harmony between increased profitability and environmental performance.
BY THE NUMBERS
According to the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE), green initiatives saved Maryland companies a total of $102 million in 2015 (1).
- 539,000 pounds reduced hazardous waste – enough to fill 1,200 55-gallon drums
- 2.7 million gallons reduced wastewater – enough to fill ALL of the tanks at the National Aquarium in Baltimore
- 479 million kwh of reduced electricity – enough to power the entire city of Annapolis for a whole year
- 683 million pounds of solid waste recycled – enough to fill 26,258 garbage trucks
- 731 million gallons of water conserved – enough to fill 1,107 Olympic swimming pools
Were you one of these companies?
WHY MD MEP?
The Maryland Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MD MEP) offers a broad suite of services and networking opportunities to not only help bring Maryland companies into environmental compliance and avoid hefty fines, but to also reduce energy costs and implement sustainability initiatives. Some of the related services we support include:
- Energy Assessment
- ISO 14001 Implementation
- Environmental Permits & Compliance Consulting
- Sustainability Initiatives
- Pollution Prevention & Waste Reduction